Autos and the Dangers of Distracted Driving
Driving an automobile takes skill and concentration to drive it safely. On a typical day drivers must be concerned with other drivers, the road, pedestrians, and driving conditions. All of these external factors can contribute to drivers being involved in accidents or causing accidents and are mostly out of the control of the driver. However, one of the biggest safety concerns for drivers today is the risk of other drivers being distracted while behind the wheel.
Distracted driving has become a major problem for driver safety in the past decade. Drivers can be distracted in a number of ways ranging from the simple task of finding a radio station to play to trying to program a destination into a GPS to calling or texting someone from your cell phone. All of these activities can take the attention away from the road and other drivers. As a result, drivers are running a risk of being distracted and the chances of having an accident increase.
There are many things that drivers can do to avoid being a distracted driver. The most important thing is the simplest – don't take your eyes off the road. However, if you need to use a GPS or your cell phone, stop your car before doing so. Another option would be using Bluetooth or voice activated commands for the phone. The most important factor is that the driver needs to have complete concentration on the road in order to drive safely.
To learn more about distracted driving we have put together this helpful listing of resources. While various governmental agencies have begun enacting laws prohibiting texting and cell phone usage, it is important that drivers be aware of the potential danger. Therefore, please feel free to review the information and remain a safe, distraction free driver!
- Distracted Driving Information – U.S. Government article which provides a definition and key facts about distracted driving.
- Distracted Driving – Informative page from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety which deals with distracted and inattentive driving.
- Foundation for Traffic Safety – In this page from the AAA Foundation you will find basic information and a definition of distracted driving.
- Cell Phone Crash Statistics – Information from the National Safety Council about cell phone usage while driving.
- Distracted Driving Injuries - This web page from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention outlines the problems associated with distracted driving.
- Facts on Distracted Driving – Publication from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration providing a summary of facts on driving while distracted.
- Facts and Statistics – In this page from the Children's Hospital of Vanderbilt University you are presented with driving information and resources.
- Dangers of Texting While Driving – Informative page from the Federal Communication Commission which outlines the dangers associated with texting behind the wheel.
- Texting and Driving – Useful information and resources about distracted driving from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
- Distracted Driving Fact Sheet – Publication provided by the state of Connecticut containing facts and information.
- Indiana Driving Information – Information from the state of Indiana about the different kinds of distracted driving.
- GHSA Information – Informative publication from the Governors Highway Safety Association which lists the problems associated with driving while being distracted.
- Types of Driver Distractions – Information from a presentation on the effects of various types of distractions.
- Driving Distractions – In this web page from the Idaho Transportation Department you will learn about the three types of distractions.
- Types of Driving Distractions – Informative web page from the California Department of Motor Vehicles with information on the three types of distractions.
- Distracted Driving Research – Useful research paper from the University of Vermont with information on the problems of distractions and driving autos.
- Laws and Results - Article which outlines the laws against distracted driving and how they are not completely effective.
- New York State Laws – Information from New York State about the laws against using portable electronic devices while driving.
- NCSL Information – This page from the National Conference of State Legislatures discusses what states are doing to stop distracted driving.
- Driving and Distractions - Article which provides an overview of the issues about distracted driving.
- IIHS Information – Distracted driving information from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
- Teen Driving – Helpful article from the Research Institute of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia distracted driving laws.
- Prevention Tips – Helpful tips from the Loyola University Health System on how to prevent driving while distracted.
- Distracted Driving Prevention – Publication from University of Fullerton which contains an over view of the problem and prevention ideas.
- Distracted Driving Awareness – Information on April being distracted driving awareness month.
- Prevention Information – Injury prevention ideas and information on preventing being a victim.
- Driving Resources – Informative web page from OSHA which contains information about distracted driving and prevention.
- Teen Driving and Prevention – Informative government page which provides teens with information on the problems of being distracted while driving along with other important issues.